A Place for Your Grill

Keeping Your Dog Safe Before Flood Water Cleanup Begins

If a stream, river, or lake causes flood waters to rush into your home, then it is wise to contact water cleanup experts to take care of the extremely dirty water in your house. If the experts cannot provide services immediately, then it is important to keep yourself and your family safe. If your home is still livable, then you and your children should stay away from areas exposed to flood waters. It can be easy to control the movements of your family, but if you have a dog, then it may go places inside and outside your home where it should not. Follow the tips below to make sure your dog is as safe as possible.

Get Rid Of Food and Water Bowls

Water restoration and cleanup experts come into your home and dry out all areas of the house to make sure the structure of your home does not become damaged. If the professionals have not done this yet though, then your home will be both warm and moist. These conditions are perfect for mold growth, and mold spores travel through the air. These spores can attach themselves to the hair on your dog as well, and the spores can land in food and water dishes. Most mold spores are not dangerous, but some potentially harmful types of mold can start to grow in your home due to damp conditions.  

If dangerous black mold spores are ingested or brought into the lungs, then your dog may form a serious respiratory infection. Black mold also contains toxic substances called mycotoxins that can cause heart and cardiovascular distress. To reduce the exposure to harmful molds, consider throwing out dog dishes and purchasing new ones.

Using New Dishes

Once you purchase new water and food dishes for your pet, you will need to provide food and water as carefully as possible until water restoration experts clean your home. This will help to reduce your dog's exposure to mold spores. Empty water dishes three or four times a day and fill them with fresh water. Also, add kibble or food to bowls three times a day, and provide only the food your dog will eat during mealtime. Before your dog uses the bowls, wipe down the head with a wet cloth. This will keep mold spores that are attached to the fur from falling into the food and water.

Wash the dishes every day as well to kill mold spores that have fallen into the bowls. Bleach is extremely effective at killing mold, so soak the dishes in your sink. Add one-quarter cup of bleach to a sink filled with water. Let the dishes soak for about 10 or 15 minutes and then rinse them thoroughly.

Do Not Let Your Dog Potty Outside Your Home

Water restoration experts commonly work on homes after flood waters recede, but portable pumps can be used outside the home if pooled water sits close to your home for too long. The water is transported to wooded areas that can better soak up the water or to sewage grates that line your street. If you let your dog go outside to use the bathroom before the water is removed though, then you will be exposing him to harmful microorganisms. Flood waters often pick up a great deal of fecal matter that has been left by wild animals in the area. The feces allow bacteria to grow in the water that is left near your home. Also, waterborne bacteria and viruses can start to build in the nutrient rich waters.

When dogs come into contact with the dirty water, their paws and legs become dirty. Your dog will then try to lick some of the debris away and he or she will become ill.

Find an Elevated Area

Your dog will need to potty before water removal crews are able to pump water away from your lawn. The best way to keep your dog away from harmful microorganisms is to find an elevated area near your house that was not affected by flood waters. Use your car to travel up and down your road to find one of these areas. Walk your dog down your dry driveway to get to this area of travel by car to reach it. Let your dog potty at the dry area.

If a flood has left dirty water in your home, then it is necessary to call a water removal and restoration expert to deal with the mess. In the meantime, you need to make sure your dog is safe and not exposed to harmful bacteria and mold spores.


Share